Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Sausage, Cabbage, & Rice



My Mom made Cabbage Rolls when we were growing up (from what I remember, they were sausage and rice rolled up in cabbage leaves and steamed). I love the flavor/texture combination, so I came up with my own version of the meal. It's a super easy skillet meal!

Sausage, Cabbage, & Rice

1 lb. sausage
2 1/2 cups water
1 cup rice
1 cup salsa
3 cups cabbage, cut into chunks (I don't measure this, just do about 3/4 of a head)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

In a large skillet, brown sausage. Drain well, and return to skillet. Add water and bring to a boil. Add rice and salsa; stir well. Place cabbage on top of rice mixture; do not stir. Cover and simmer on low for 25 minutes. Stir well then cook 5 minutes longer. Sprinkle with cheese; cover until cheese is melted.

Makes 5-6 servings

Print this recipe! .:see instructions in left sidebar:.

No comments: